Thursday, October 31, 2013

Soft and comfy Nap Mat

Growing up, my grandmother was a true homemaker, while my mom was the professional woman-a registered nurse. My grandmother was many thing but one thing she excelled at was been a true homemaker. She was a stay at home mother of 6 kids, an expert on sewing, rug making, weaving, knitting, cooking etc, I mostly enjoyed cooking so I learned from her at a very young age how to cook. We used to laugh at her when she would insist on her granddaughters learning craftier homemaking skills. According to her, a females work is best exemplified by been home with the kids, and having the necessary skills required to be a homemaker. Well that didn't sit well with any of us girls since we all wanted to be like our mom.  However, lately I have been having more of a crafty creative itch. I call it an itch because I am not sure if this mood would last. I hope it last because I am having a midlife crisis trying to find hobbies I enjoy outside work. I am also starting to second guess my chosen profession and confuse about my next path in life. Until I can figure out what I would like to be when I grow up, I am deciding to take on little projects around the house.

My son goes to daycare five days a week because my husband and I work fulltime outside the home. Every week, I would take him to daycare with a fitted sheet and blanket. I hate this part because on busy days I will always almost forget collecting everything. I have always wanted a nap mat but didn't want to pay too much for it. So today I picked up few items to make my own nap mat. I had an old nursery curtain in dots so I decided to use this curtain as my bottom fabric. I used two different bloggers DIY nap mat tutorial (sew4home and  sewlikemymom)since this is the first time ever I will be attempting to sew. I watched a lot of youtube videos about how to use a sewing machine. I had to learn it all. Mind you this is not the best however, I have very proud of myself for trying


Supply list can be found on either of those blogger site. When I sew another one for a friend, I will post my tutorial.

Used an old nursery curtain for bottom fabric (dots fabrics)
Sewing the attached pillow
The End product. Hope My baby boy enjoys sleeping of a soft cuddly mat on top of his cot 



2 comments:

  1. Your grandmom sounds a lot like mine. Growing up all I ever wanted to do was become a wife and mother. My mom was a beautiful seamstress, she even made my wedding gown. When I was younger I had little interest in sewing, now that my mom has passed I wish I had her by my side to sew along with. You did a wonderful job on your son's nap mat. I'm sure he will cherish it more because you made it with your own hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandi,
    Thanks for reading my blog. My toddler really loves his nap mat, and after making his, I have been able to make two more for a friend and a family member. I am excited about this new hobby. I believe if you can get a sewing machine and tackle small projects, youtube is a good resource for learning anything.

    ReplyDelete